piqueF

In August 2018 I purchased a second home in a different state - do I pay state taxes in both states?

My spouse and I spend time in both houses/states and do not rent out either home.

Ashby

Which state do you register your vehicles in? Which state have you registered to vote in? Which state is your driver's license from? Generally, this are the questions used to establish residency. 

I assume this is all where your first home is located. You will continue to file just in that state if that's the case.

The good news is that for federal purposes, you can deduct property taxes (up to $10k limit) and mortgage interest for both your primary and secondary residence. 

Ashby

piqueF

One car is registered in state A, the other in state B. Drivers licenses for both my spouse and me are in state A. Spouse is registered to vote in state A. I am non-voting green card holder.
Ashby

It sounds like State A would be your resident state. However, if you earn income in separate states, you should file for each state for that state's source income.
piqueF

I am retired and earned no income in 2018. My spouse earned income in state A only. I guess that makes it more straightforward? We pay property and auto excise taxes on the second (state B) home and the (state B) car, as well as on the state A home and car.
Ashby

Yes, it does. You are fine to file with state A only.
piqueF

Awesome! Thanks so much for your advice.