turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seanald

How do I report a sale of a piece of land with a structure on it.

I purchased a house in 2001 on a large lot. I was the only owner. I split the lot into 2 taxable lots. I lived in the house until 2006 and then sold the house for a small gain. I kept the lot and it had a large shop on the lot but no utilities.(power, water or gas.) I didn't depreciate the building.  I used the shop for my rental properties and personal use. I sold the lot in 2016 however I was under contract with a developer but decided to cancel for a $5000 fee and sold the property to the homeowner that I had sold the house to originally. My questions are, Where can I report the sale? can I write off the $5000 cancellation fee?  Are there any other pitfalls to lookout for?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardK

If you treat this as the sale of a personal asset, you report this on as an investment sale on Form 8949, click here for an article on how to enter in  Turbotax. You could add the $5,000 to perfect the title to the basis of the asset, click here for IRS publication 551 Basis of Assets.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardK

If you treat this as the sale of a personal asset, you report this on as an investment sale on Form 8949, click here for an article on how to enter in  Turbotax. You could add the $5,000 to perfect the title to the basis of the asset, click here for IRS publication 551 Basis of Assets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies