bobdrad

If this year I paid car registration for the next two years do I deduct the total payment this year?

I live in Washington state. In 2020 I paid my car registration for the next two years at once (2020 and 2021). Do I take the full deduction in the year I paid, or the yearly amounts in the years when it applies separately?

You take the itemized deduction in the year you paid the registration fees based on the value of the vehicle.

SteamTrain

IF you are NOT asking about this for a business vehicle expense, but asking about your personal use vehicle....you should read the following post   (though it is a bit old and may not be fully up-tp-date):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/on-the-washington-state-vehicle-... )  

___________________

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

___________________