turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

conger33

My fiancé pays for our home taxes and mortgage, our name are both in the house loan. Am I entitled to any tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

My fiancé pays for our home taxes and mortgage, our name are both in the house loan. Am I entitled to any tax credit?

If she made the payments out of a joint account, you may be able to split the deductions for mortgage interest and property tax.  But if she made the payments out of her own funds, she is entitled to deduct the full amounts.  The basic principle is that you can't deduct what you don't pay.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

If she made the payments out of a joint account, you may be able to split the deductions for mortgage interest and property tax.  But if she made the payments out of her own funds, she is entitled to deduct the full amounts.  The basic principle is that you can't deduct what you don't pay.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Manage cookies