Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my son attended a summer camp at a non-profit recreation and parks district, can I add it to charity donations?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If my son attended a summer camp at a non-profit recreation and parks district, can I add it to charity donations?

No, you paid for summer camp (something that you benefitted from).  You did not make a charitable contribution.

No. That is not a deductible charitable contribution since you got something in return for it.  But if the child attended day camp to allow you (and your wife, if married) to work the expenses could be used for child care credit if otherwise qualified. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No,

the fee to attend the camp cannot be claimed as a charity donation, however it might be eligible to be claimed as The Child and Dependent Care Credit if the child attended camp during a time you worked and meets other requirements. 

“Q: If a person gives money to sponsor a child to go to church camp they can receive charitable giving credit. However, if a parent pays for their child to go to church camp, they do not receive charitable giving credit. Am I understanding this correctly?

A: Yes, your conclusions are correct. While it may seem a bit unfair, the rationale is based on who is receiving the benefit of the donor’s contribution.”

Camp Fees

TurboTax explains the Child care Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies