turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my fiancé and I are partners in a business and she takes all the profit even though I pay for many of the expenses such as utilities, can I still write off expenses?

My fiancé and I are partners in an LLP.  We file separately but she claims all of the profit.  I pay for many of the expenses such as the utilities for her studio.  Can I still write off these expenses even though I do not claim any profit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
WillK
Intuit Alumni

If my fiancé and I are partners in a business and she takes all the profit even though I pay for many of the expenses such as utilities, can I still write off expenses?

If you are your finance are partners than you would file a partnership return using form 1065 which will report income and expenses based your partnership percentage owned. If you have a partnership agreement allows for differences in the allocation of profits and losses (income and expenses). The IRS will not allow one partner to take all the profits and one partner to take all the expenses. 

Once you file 1065 you each will report the Schedule K-1 on your personal returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies