If my doctor recommends a sauna for my medical condition, can I write the sauna off as a deduction? If so, what steps, forms or documentation do I need?

Yes, you could.

You would need a written script from the doctor.

It would need to express that the sauna is a medical need.

If it has any personal use (anyone else uses it) you would need to prorate the usage.

The expense would be deducted as a medical expense on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.

Please be aware that if you sell the sauna, you may need to claim a taxable gain.

If you deduct the cost of the sauna, and later sell it, the basis is the 2% floor that you were not able to deduct.

For more detailed information, please click the link below:

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 502