Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcnejef

If I take the standard deduction on my 2018 federal return, can I itemize on my 2018 missouri return?

If I take the standard deduction in the federal path I owe $1707 ($958 fed, $749 state).  If I itemize in the federal path I owe $1288 - fed goes up to $1125 but state goes down to $163.

Seems like if I could standard federal and itemize state my number would keep going down.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristieB

If I take the standard deduction on my 2018 federal return, can I itemize on my 2018 missouri return?

Unfortunately, if you take the Standard Deduction on your Federal return, you are not able to Itemize on your Missouri return. You must use the Standard Deduction on your state return as well. 

However, if you Itemize on your Federal return, you have the option of either Itemizing or using the Standard Deduction on your Missouri return. 

https://dor.mo.gov/forms/MO-1040%20Instructions_2018.pdf (pgs 7-8)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristieB

Unfortunately, if you take the Standard Deduction on your Federal return, you are not able to Itemize on your Missouri return. You must use the Standard Deduction on your state return as well. 

However, if you Itemize on your Federal return, you have the option of either Itemizing or using the Standard Deduction on your Missouri return. 

https://dor.mo.gov/forms/MO-1040%20Instructions_2018.pdf (pgs 7-8)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies