Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brotherr
Returning Member

If I received 1099 as my W-2, am I considered a individual contractor? If so, can I deduct uber expenses to my tax, as this is what I used to go to work?

I work in a truck company, in the accounting office area. I am like accountant assistant or something. I don’t really know what to call it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

If I received 1099 as my W-2, am I considered a individual contractor? If so, can I deduct uber expenses to my tax, as this is what I used to go to work?

If you did not contract to do this job, did not negotiate the fee, went to work when the boss said so (probably clocked in & out), did the job as the boss said to do it  and  only worked for this one employer  then you are probably NOT a contractor ... you are an employee and the employer should treat & pay you as such.  Did you fill in a W-4 or W-9 when you started this job ?

An employer who classifies incorrectly is cheating you out of benefits and not paying their share of the tax bill ...

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/understanding-employee-vs-contractor-designation">https://www.irs.gov/n...>

And being misclassified while working in the accounting office ... run.  

Seriously, from what you said, you are in a bad situation and should be seeking a job elsewhere.  If the accounting office is doing this, who knows what else they are doing wrong (and in some cases, you could be liable).
brotherr
Returning Member

I worked Mon-Fri, 9-5. If I talk to him. What should I discuss with him?
brotherr
Returning Member

we talk at the interview that he will pay me 400 per week

But what form did he ask  you fill out ?   A W-4  ?   Or a W-9 ?  
brotherr
Returning Member

I didn’t fill out anything
TomD8
Level 15

<<If I talk to him. What should I discuss with him?>>
Ask him if federal and state taxes are going to be withheld from your pay.  If he says yes, he should have you fill out a Form W-4, which looks like this:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf</a>   Your paystub should show the amount of taxes being withheld from each paycheck.  At year's end you would get a W-2.
If he says he's NOT going to withhold taxes, then he's treating you as an independent contractor and not as an employee.  If that's the case (and if you intend to continue in this job), you may want to start paying quarterly estimated taxes.  Paying your taxes through the year would basically be on you, because none are being withheld for you.  At year's end in this situation you would get a 1099-MISC.  You'd be responsible for paying ordinary income tax AND the self-employment tax on your net income.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

you need to determine if you are an employee or independent contractor

An independent contractor is a person or business entity which:

? is free from immediate direction and control by business in their performance of the services

? is responsible to business only for the contracted result of the work, not the manner or method used to accomplish the work

? solely controls and directs how the service is provided, who provides it, and the means used to provide the service

? sets his/her own prices for goods and fees for service

? can terminate contract while not terminating his/her business

? can terminate contract while not creating an unemployment situation

? uses advertising to promote their business

? provides goods and/or services to a segment general public of their own choosing

you can use irs 20 point checklist at

https://www.walthall.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IRS-Indep-Contr-20-Point-Checklist.pdf

if you are an independent contractor , then the business using your services does not need to withhold income taxes or pay medicare and social security taxes - you may need to paid estimated taxes 

if you are an employee, your employer  has serious problems  if it is not withholding the proper taxes.  if it issues you a 1099 rather than a W-2 as an employee   you would end up paying about 14% of your gross for medicare and social security taxes (vs 7.65& as employee)  

Consequences of Misclassifying an Employee

Classifying an employee as an independent contractor with no reasonable basis for doing so makes employers liable for employment taxes. Certain employers that can provide a reasonable basis for not treating a worker as an employee may have the opportunity to avoid paying employment taxes. See Publication 1976, Section 530, Employment Tax Relief Requirements for more information.

In addition, the Voluntary Classification Settlement Program (VCSP) offers certain eligible businesses the option to reclassify their workers as employees with partial relief from federal employment taxes.

The IRS can help employers determine the status of their workers by using Form SS-8, Determination of Worker Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding. IRS Publication 15-A, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide, is also an excellent resource.

Workers who believe an employer improperly classified them as independent contractors can use Form 8919 to figure and report the employee’s share of uncollected Social Security and Medicare taxes due on their compensation.

but if you do, yor employer may fire you.  then it becomes a legal issue 

You did not receive a 1099 "as a W-2" -- you received a 1099Misc instead of a W-2-- because you are not an employee, you are an independent contractor.  And, no, the cost of commuting to or from work is not deductible.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies