Solved: If i receive travel expense from my employer, but they do not put it on my w2 or give me a 1099, should i claim the expense?

cjmersh

If i receive travel expense from my employer, but they do not put it on my w2 or give me a 1099, should i claim the expense?

Employer does not include my travel expense on my w2 nor do they gives me a 1099. Do I claim this?

DianeW

An employer doesn't have to include the travel expense reimbursement if they use an accountable plan and the reimbursement is within the federal guidelines as far as the amount of reimbursement.  It's tax free for you.

DO NOT enter employee business expenses for amounts that you have been reimbursed, but you can enter amounts that were not reimbursed, but required by your employer.  These are part of the miscellaneous deductions limited to the amount that exceeds 2% of your income on itemized deductions.

The details below will show you how to enter your job related employee business expenses that are not reimbursed.

DianeW

mham1906

As long as you have the documentation for your files, you may claim the expense.