kcmassey585

If I helped support my daughter that lived in her own house

I pay her rent and utilities.

DanielV01

It depends if you can claim her.  If she was in college, under the age of 24 on December 31, 2016, she is not considered to be living away from home, because college is a temporary absence.  However, if she was 24 or older or not in school, you still would be able to claim her if she earned $4050 or less in the year, and you provided at least half of her support (which it sounded like you probably did do that).  If either of those two scenarios are true, you still may claim her.

In the first scenario, your daughter would be a qualifying child, and you would be able to claim Earned Income Credit for her if you qualify, and, if you are otherwise single, you would be able to claim Head of Household and educational credits (also, if you qualify).  In the second scenario, you would not be able to claim EIC or Head of Household (unless you have another qualifying dependent living with you), but you still would be able to claim educational credits if she was over 24 and still in school.

DanielV01