Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have already claimed my property taxes on my return, can I claim them again under my home office expenses? Why would it be listed as an option, if not? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If I have already claimed my property taxes on my return, can I claim them again under my home office expenses? Why would it be listed as an option, if not? Thanks!

Yes you can.  If you take the actual expenses for home office they will automatically adjust on the Schedule A to reflect the percentage used on Home Office Deduction.

Calculating the home office deduction can be done one of two ways: the actual-expense method, under which the home office deduction amount is based on the actual expenses related to the use of the home office incurred by the taxpayer, or the new safe-harbor method, under which the deduction amount is determined by a formula based on the square footage used as a home office.

If you're self-employed and work from home, you may be able to claim the home office deduction to help lower your federal income tax bill. That means if you work from home as an employee for someone else, you can't take the home office deduction for tax years between Jan. 1, 2018, and Dec. 31, 2025.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much! If I'm understanding correctly, though, if I already used the square footage to get a deduction (I did), then I probably shouldn't also enter my property taxes again. I believe I received a $1200 deduction for square footage, so Im assuming I cannot also add the $1330 I'm property taxes? Thank you, again!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You get a personal deduction for your property taxes (if you itemize) and you can take a business deduction on Schedule C for the business portion of the tax.   If you don't itemize, it won't matter.   But if you do itemize, you should see the personal portion (what was not claimed on Schedule C) on Schedule A .

You said you got a $1200 deduction.  Seems a bit high for a $1330 tax bill.    Check your entries and Schedule C and A.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies