raylisgary3

If I have already claimed my property taxes on my return, can I claim them again under my home office expenses? Why would it be listed as an option, if not? Thanks!

Cynthiad66

Yes you can.  If you take the actual expenses for home office they will automatically adjust on the Schedule A to reflect the percentage used on Home Office Deduction.

Calculating the home office deduction can be done one of two ways: the actual-expense method, under which the home office deduction amount is based on the actual expenses related to the use of the home office incurred by the taxpayer, or the new safe-harbor method, under which the deduction amount is determined by a formula based on the square footage used as a home office.

If you're self-employed and work from home, you may be able to claim the home office deduction to help lower your federal income tax bill. That means if you work from home as an employee for someone else, you can't take the home office deduction for tax years between Jan. 1, 2018, and Dec. 31, 2025.

raylisgary3

Thank you so much! If I'm understanding correctly, though, if I already used the square footage to get a deduction (I did), then I probably shouldn't also enter my property taxes again. I believe I received a $1200 deduction for square footage, so Im assuming I cannot also add the $1330 I'm property taxes? Thank you, again!

DawnC

You get a personal deduction for your property taxes (if you itemize) and you can take a business deduction on Schedule C for the business portion of the tax.   If you don't itemize, it won't matter.   But if you do itemize, you should see the personal portion (what was not claimed on Schedule C) on Schedule A .

You said you got a $1200 deduction.  Seems a bit high for a $1330 tax bill.    Check your entries and Schedule C and A.