Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

If I have a W2 and a 1042-s code 16, how do I file that in Turbo Tax Deluxe?

I already filed the information from my W-2 and I filed the income listed on my 1042-S following these steps:

  1. Select the "Federal" tab in the black navigation bar on the left
  2. Select "Income & Expenses"
  3. Select "Add more income" button if necessary
  4. Scroll and click "See the list of all income" 
  5. Scroll to "Less Common Income" and select "show more"
  6. Select "Miscellaneous Income"
  7. Scroll and select "Other Reportable Income"
  8. Click "yes" then enter the description and amount

However, I cannot find where to enter in the federal tax withheld in Box 7a and 10 on my 1042-S to make sure I don't get taxed twice. 



2 Replies
Level 15

If I have a W2 and a 1042-s code 16, how do I file that in Turbo Tax Deluxe?

Code 16 would signify scholarship income. 

If the 1042-S is reporting the scholarship, and it is taxable, you can enter it in the Education Section under Deductions & Credits, but don't report a 1098-T if you didn't get one. Answer "No" that you didn't receive a 1098-T and "No" you don't have an exception, the screens that follow should allow you to enter the scholarship amount only. (without the 1098-T) 

Yes, enter the tax withheld under "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" 


Your return should be eligible for e-filing. Since the amount from the 1042-S will be on line 1 of your 1040, there is no reason to mail that form in, but do keep a copy with your tax files. 

Expert Alumni

If I have a W2 and a 1042-s code 16, how do I file that in Turbo Tax Deluxe?

You can add the withholding to your tax return so that you are credited for those amounts.   


If you had taxes withheld on Form 1042-S, please follow these steps:


1.  Sign in to TurboTax and select Pick up where I left off

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in estimates paid and Enter

3.  Select the Jump to estimates paid link

4. On the screen, Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid, Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099, Click Start 

5.  Enter the amount of FEDERAL withholding credit in this section.    Any state withholding credit is entered on your state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings