turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have a side job but did not make any income last year, can I still enter business expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If I have a side job but did not make any income last year, can I still enter business expenses?

Was your business "open for business" last year? Would also help if I knew what kind of business this is/was so I don't waste your time with non relevant information.

Yes, I am a Graphic Designer. I work full-time with a company so I already have a W2 but I also freelance on the side. Last year was the first year that I didn't make any income from my freelance business. Can I still deduct business expense from this if I didn't make any income?
Carl
Level 15

Yes. You'll file your SCH C as you have in the past. Note that obviously your business expenses claimed will exceed the business income. So the excess while claimed, may not be "allowed" is all. But that's not a problem Once business expenses get your taxable business income to zero, the excess is just carried over to the next year. But if you don't "claim" those expenses on the 2017 return, then you can not carry them over to the 2018 return.  So the fact that your business income may be zero for the year, and your business expenses may be a positive number, really doesn't matter. Just don't expect your business expenses to have any affect on your refund or tax liability from your W-2 income. (But it could. It just depends on your situation. Just work it through the program as you normally have in years past.)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies