brianpoon92

If I bought a house in 2018 that included energy saving items, can I claim it?

I bought a brand new home last year and it came with "newer" improvements installed. The Turbotax program indicated some items I might qualify to claim. I remember being given a list of items in the house with price costs for those items in the paperwork, but before I go digging and finding things, I'd like to know if I can even deduct those. The house was like a model home and we bought it after it was completely done. Since it came as part of the house, which is brand new, would I be able to claim it or must I be the one to purchase that item first (and not the builder)?

TomK

Maybe.  Pay particular attention to "Nonbusiness Energy Property Tax Credit (Expired December 31, 2017)" section in the article below.

Energy Tax Credit: Which Home Improvements Qualify? https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/home-ownership/energy-tax-credit-which-home-improvements-qualif...

TomK

TomK

Please see updated answer.
brianpoon92

I see... the 2018 tax year is limited to certain improvements only. I guess part of my question is also who can claim it if it was built into a brand new house- the buyer of the house or the builder? or both? 🙂
TomK

I'm sorry... if it's deductible, YOU can claim it as the new homebuyer.
brianpoon92

Awesome! Unfortunately, I bought my house after Nonbusiness Energy Property Tax Credit expired, but this is great to know for future reference! Thank you!!