turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work out of my house, but spend most of the time traveling for work. I moved 70 miles closer to an airport that offers cheaper choices. Can I deduct my travel expenses?

I work out of my home office, but travel majority of time for work (80% of travel is to 1 location and the other 20% is to multiple places). I moved 70 miles to be able to start using a different airport that offers significantly cheaper flights and also offers more options for my work related travel.  Can I deduct my moving expenses?

Also what do I use for my address to and from work?  Home and Airport? 

Previously, I lived 40 miles from an airport but the airport was expensive and offered fewer options.  Now, I moved closer to a different airport that offers more options and is cheaper, but I live 90 miles from that airport.   But that 90 miles would have been 160 miles if I did not move.    Besides more cheaper options this airport offers more frequent flights, meaning more direct flights and shorter connection time when I am making connections.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I work out of my house, but spend most of the time traveling for work. I moved 70 miles closer to an airport that offers cheaper choices. Can I deduct my travel expenses?

It depends.  Since it sounds like you have a true home office, your travel from your office (your regular place of business) to other locations for business purposes is deductible.  Likewise, you will be able to deduct airline travel, lodging (either actual expenses or per diem rate), meals and incidentals (also at per diem rate for the number of nights you were away from home), and if you were working at home for the benefit of your employer, a home office deduction.  Here are FAQ's on each:

Travel expenses:   https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300652

Where to report in TurboTax:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800418

Home office:   https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302005

The moving expenses are a little touchier.  The reason for this is while you can claim the deduction for a relocation, or a new job, this is not the case here.  You do meet the distance test (you would actually use the distance from your first home to that home office, which is zero, and the distance from the first home to the new home, 70 miles.  You need to have at least 50, which you do).  But since this is more for convenience than in connection with a new job, they don't really qualify.  On the other hand, your travel to and from the airport would qualify, as well as any other driving you may be entitled to take.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies