robinburgos4

I work from home but don't own a business. My company is located in Oklahoma. Can I still deduct home office space?

IreneS

Yes.  You can deduct home office expenses as an employee.  Keep in mind, though, that your home office expense and other expenses related to W-2 income will only be deductible IF:

• You itemize your deductions (Schedule A); AND
  • All of your unreimbursed employee business expenses and other miscellaneous itemized deductions added together are more than 2% of your AGI.  [Only the amount over 2% AGI is deductible.]

Make sure you are making the entry for an Employee Home Office.  Please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits  [In TT Self-Employed:  Personal > Deductions & Credits > I'll choose what I work on].
  2. Scroll down to the Employment Expenses section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Job Expenses for W-2 Income.   [See Screenshot #1, below.)
  3. On the Employment Expenses Related to a W-2 screen mark the Yes button and click Continue.  [Screenshot #2)
  4. On the screen  Did you have any of these expenses in 2016? mark the appropriate button and click Continue.  [Screenshot #3)
  5. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
  6. When you reach the screen, Did you have home office expenses? mark the Yes button and click Continue[Screenshot #4)
  7. On the following screens TurboTax will ask you information about your home and your home office and calculate the deduction.

IreneS