Solved: I was transferred (L-1 visa) for a new job assignment to the US in February 2017. I got a lump sum instead of reimbursement for moving. Can I deduct my moving expenses?

I was transferred (L-1 visa) for a new job assignment to the US in February 2017. I got a lump sum instead of reimbursement for moving. Can I deduct my moving expenses?

The lump sum is included in my wages on W-2, there is no P-code amount in box 12.

Yes - If your lump sum distribution is included as part of your W-2 box 1 taxable income, then you will be able to claim your eligible moving expense on your tax return.

According to the IRS, if you moved due to a change in your job or business location, or because you started a new job or business, you may be able to deduct your reasonable moving expenses but not any expenses for meals. If your move was not in connect to a new employment, then the IRS will consider these moving expenses nondeductible personal expenses.

Please refer to these links related to moving expenses: IRS - Moving Expenses and Moving Expense Deduction

To enter deductible moving expenses in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "moving expenses" in the search bar then select "jump to moving expenses". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information