turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was on a family cruise and had to work for most of it. Can I claim the cost of the cruise?

Cruise was 14 days and 10 of those days I had to work full days.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was on a family cruise and had to work for most of it. Can I claim the cost of the cruise?

Don't think you can expense any of it.  You didn't go on the cruise FOR business. It wasn't a business trip.  You can expense any supplies you used or phone calls, maybe some internet fees.   

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What?  Please explain more.  What work did you do while on a cruise?   For who?  Was this your family's boat?

Good questions. I'm an independent consultant (IT) and the cruise was from Miami to Europe. One of my clients experienced an emergency and needed assistance resolving it. I feel somewhat deprived of my personal time, but satisfied I helped.

Thank you

Don't think you can expense any of it.  You didn't go on the cruise FOR business. It wasn't a business trip.  You can expense any supplies you used or phone calls, maybe some internet fees.   

Thank you very much.

Regards

Hal_Al
Level 15

You may deduct all business expenses that are  ordinary and necessary.

For the Meaning of Ordinary and Necessary Expenses, see: http://www.cpa-connecticut.com/ordinary-and-necessary.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies