Solved: I've settled out-of-court for a long-term disability claim. The LTD policy premiums were paid with after-tax dollars. Is the out-of-court settlement taxable?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've settled out-of-court for a long-term disability claim. The LTD policy premiums were paid with after-tax dollars. Is the out-of-court settlement taxable?

I became disabled and unable to work, and the insurance company paid benefits before eventually terminating benefits. We took them to court, and they settled before the case went to trial.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 6

I've settled out-of-court for a long-term disability claim. The LTD policy premiums were paid with after-tax dollars. Is the out-of-court settlement taxable?

Long-term disability benefits are not taxable when the insurance premiums are paid with after-tax dollars. As the settlement is considered as your long-term disability benefits, it is not taxable. And any legal fees you incurred are not deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 6

Long-term disability benefits are not taxable when the insurance premiums are paid with after-tax dollars. As the settlement is considered as your long-term disability benefits, it is not taxable. And any legal fees you incurred are not deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

I have the same situation.  My premiums were paid entirely by me with post tax dollars.  However, just to verify that I won’t owe tax on the out-of-court settlement, I’d like to find this same info on the IRS website.  Can someone point me to this?  I’ve looked high and low.  Thanks.

Level 14

@peter07043 :

See pages 17-19, "Sickness and Injury Benefits", in this IRS reference:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings