turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rldutton

We made a small ($53) contribution to our HSA last year (2016) that zeroed out an overdrawn account. How do we report this?

Our HSA account was overdrawn after paying a medical bill, so we contributed the $53 to bring that account to zero before closing it due to getting new insurance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We made a small ($53) contribution to our HSA last year (2016) that zeroed out an overdrawn account. How do we report this?

If you made the contribution with after-tax dollars (i.e., you wrote a check and didn't do this through a salary reduction arrangement with your employer), then do the following:

In the interview for the HSA, after you have entered your 1099-SA information, continue the interview. Eventually you will come to a screen entitled with "Did [your name] put money into an HSA in 2016?" (for the Premier version). Answer "Yes", and the next screen will ask for any personal contribution not made through your employer - this is where you will enter the $53.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rldutton

That $53 only brought the account UP to zero. There's nothing to withdrawl on the part where we are being prompted to select what we'd like to do with this contribution. What do I do?

If you made the contribution with after-tax dollars (i.e., you wrote a check and didn't do this through a salary reduction arrangement with your employer), then do the following:

In the interview for the HSA, after you have entered your 1099-SA information, continue the interview. Eventually you will come to a screen entitled with "Did [your name] put money into an HSA in 2016?" (for the Premier version). Answer "Yes", and the next screen will ask for any personal contribution not made through your employer - this is where you will enter the $53.

rldutton

I got that part down, but concerning the part where it asks about withdrawing the excess contribution. There's nothing to withdraw because it was just to bring our accout back up to zero.

I thought that you put the money in before you closed out the HSA. Are you saying that you were no longer eligible to contribute to the HSA when you put in the $53? Or had you already contributed the limit for the year before you put in the $53?
rldutton

We did put the money in. I paid a medical bill that put our HSA to a -$53.00. We contributed $53 to bring it up to a zero balance/even it out. Then we closed the account because we got different insurance outside of the workplace.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies