Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

glpicara

I started a small business in 2020 but do not have a 1099 from company, I had expenses from my own pocket, can I add those to my deductions?

I am an independent consultant for a company, I had out of pocket expenses to grow my business but did not receive a 1099 from the company.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I started a small business in 2020 but do not have a 1099 from company, I had expenses from my own pocket, can I add those to my deductions?

You can deduct business expenses once your business is operational. Expenses before that are considered "startup" expenses.

It sounds like your business was operational in 2020 even if you had no clients. You said you had out-of-pocket expenses to grow your business.

For more information about start-up costs see Startup costs: Understanding the totals, taxes, and timing

One other thing to consider, the IRS wants you to show a profit in three of five years on a running basis. If you expect losses in the future, it may be better to "preserve" one year of losses in 2020 in favor of claiming a larger loss in a future year.

When the IRS Classifies Your Business as a Hobby

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are self-employed (an independent contractor) you are required to keep accurate records of your income and expenses, even if you don't get tax paperwork from the companies that hire you.

You list the business on schedule C, you report income and deduct expenses, and pay income tax and self-employment tax on the net profit.  If the business was up and running as of 2020, even if you did not have income, you can deduct your expenses (you have a net operating loss, which may be deducible against any other income you might have.)

You will have to first differentiate between startup costs and ongoing costs.  For example, if your business requires specialized equipment, that would be a startup cost, while supplies for the equipment would be an ongoing cost.  Some startup costs may be expensed, some must be spread out over 15 years.  Equipment must usually be depreciated over it's useful life span, but can sometimes be expensed.

=>You need to create a schedule C business and list your income (if any) and expenses.  Equipment or other items generally with a lifespan of more than one year will be listed as assets.  Other expenses will be listed in their own categories (advertising, supplies, etc.). Turbotax will tell you if you can expense or depreciate your assets and startup costs and will tell you whether you can deduct your costs against other income this year or in the future when your business starts getting paid.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies