I sold my house in 2020. Is this why I am seeing D...

k_meuse

I sold my house in 2020. Is this why I am seeing Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Wks: your calculations could not be completed. Reference code 9-945-263

ReneeM7122

No, the error isn't because you sold your house.  Some TurboTax customers were experiencing an issue with their Home Mortgage Average Balance. This can cause the Home Mortgage Interest to be incorrectly limited.

We have added some in-program help to assist with the entering of your home mortgage information.

For more information, please see the following article:

How do I handle multiple 1098 mortgage forms?

k_meuse

Hello,

Thank you but what do I do?  I don’t have multiple 1098s so the link does not answer my question 

Is my entry going to be applied correctly and not limited?

kristina

k_meuse

@ReneeM7122please see my reply above

ReneeM7122

Since you've got only one 1098, please try to remove the 1098 and start again.  Sometimes it really does the trick.

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Once you've done this, try re-enter the information and see if your error clears.  If so, check your 1040 to see if your interest was limited.  Go to the tools section on the left and "print" the 1040.  

Please let us know if this helps.  

k_meuse

@ReneeM7122 

Hi

The error message cleared, I am looking at the 1040.   What line would tell me if my interest was limited?    I read the whole document and did not see where it would be

ReneeM7122

Line 8a on Schedule A of the 1040 contains the mortgage interest.  Here is a link to the IRS instructions that discuss Schedule A.