Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bodine

I sold land that I inherited. I inherited the property when land value was high, but sold several years later when it was low. I took a loss. How do I show that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I sold land that I inherited. I inherited the property when land value was high, but sold several years later when it was low. I took a loss. How do I show that?

It depends on how the land was used. If it was vacant land, held for investment; you may deduct the capital loss.

Type> 1099-S, sale of property other than main home  <in the find (search) box or

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

-Investment Income

-Stocks, mutual funds, Bonds, Other (Real estate is other)

Answer no, when asked if you got a 1099-B. then follow the interview. When asked if used for business or rental, check "other investment purpose"

Capital losses are first used against capital gains, on Schedule D. Any excess is used to reduce ordinary income, up to $3000. Any loss above $3000 is carried forward to future years.

For inherited property, your cost basis is the fair market value on the date of death of the person you inherited it from. You may add the carrying cost* for the year of sale to your cost basis.

* The carrying costs (e.g. insurance & maintenace) of investment property are deductible as investment expenses, but are subject to being a misc. itemized deduction also subject to the 2% of AGI threshold. Real estate (property) tax may be deducted on schedule  A, under taxes, without regard to the 2% rule.
Alternatively, taxpayers can elect to capitalize (add it to your cost basis)  the carrying costs of unimproved and nonproductive real property.  The election is made with the tax return by its due date, including extension, by attaching a statement. You cannot wait until you sell the property, but must make that election each year. 

skip1298

OK got that. Now i took back a loan at 5% for 15 years on the property after a 25% down how do i show that in turbo tax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies