Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

semnet

I sold a home in 2011 at a substantial loss..Am I allowed to deduct the legal fese to recover the State Real Estate Transfer Tax i 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I sold a home in 2011 at a substantial loss..Am I allowed to deduct the legal fese to recover the State Real Estate Transfer Tax i 2017?

If this was your main home or vacation home then a loss is not deductible because of the personal use aspect.  

Legal fees can be deductible but only if the expense was necessary to produce taxable income on the return and if you can itemize deductions.  In this case the real estate transfer tax is part of sales expense that reduces gain or increases the loss and are not actually a separately deductible item.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If this was your main home or vacation home then a loss is not deductible because of the personal use aspect.  

Legal fees can be deductible but only if the expense was necessary to produce taxable income on the return and if you can itemize deductions.  In this case the real estate transfer tax is part of sales expense that reduces gain or increases the loss and are not actually a separately deductible item.

semnet

Thanks Diane
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@Steve1950 You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies