capntangen

I sold a home and had a home office and I need to put in the depreciation. Where do I look for this on past returns?

JulieS

You can check your most recent tax return that included the home office deduction on it.

If you had an employee business expenses home office (related to a job where you received a W-2 form), look for Employee Home Office Asset Entry Worksheet. Your prior depreciation will be on line 10 and your current depreciation will be on line 11.

If it was a home office related to self-employment (your own business or 1099-MISC income), look for Form 8829 Asset Entry Worksheet. Your prior depreciation will be on line 10 and your current depreciation will be on line 11.

capntangen

Thanks. The form number was key (for Schedule C), but it looks like it is line 42 instead? I don't see carryover from the previous year, either.