Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold a car used for both business and personal and bought a new car, how do i enter sale and purchase of cars

I used a car for both business (real estate management) and personal usages for about 3 years. Sold it last year and bought a new car. How do I enter: 1) sales tax for the purchase? 2) new car for the rental property usage - do I select "trade in" (it wasn't a trade in but that seems to be the only option)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

I sold a car used for both business and personal and bought a new car, how do i enter sale and purchase of cars

You can claim Sales Tax in the Deductions & Credits section.  You can also add it to the basis of the new vehicle. 

If you had been claiming Vehicle Expenses in the Rental Expenses section, you are correct that you can indicate your stopped using the vehicle (and date) and any miles in 2017 for a 2017 mileage deduction.

'Traded it in' refers to replacing a business vehicle with another one, and is considered a 1031 exchange, which defers any gain for depreciation recapture of the old vehicle.

Type 'like kind' in the Search window, and 'Jump to like kind' to report the exchange of old/new vehicles.  TurboTax will calculate a 'basis' for the new vehicle, which you can enter in the Rental Expenses section.

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301982

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies