I shifted my VISA status from F1-OPT to H1B on 1st October 2018. Can I use Turbotax to file my taxes?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I shifted my VISA status from F1-OPT to H1B on 1st October 2018. Can I use Turbotax to file my taxes?

Based on other answers I do not pass the substantial stay test.

Can I use Turbotax partner Sprintax for my tax purposes?

6 Replies
Intuit Alumni

When did you first enter the US with the F-1 visa?

August 2015
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.
Intuit Alumni

No, you can't use Turbotax to file, unfortunately. 

As an F-1 visa holder, you are a nonresident for five years ( 2015-2019).  Although you change your visa status to the H-1B, you did not have it for more than 183 days in 2018, therefore, you are still a nonresident.  As TurboTax does not support any nonresident tax forms, you are advised to contact our partner Sprintax to complete your filing. 

You do have an option to file as a dual-status alien on your 2018 taxes if you stay at least 150 days in 2019, however, it gets more complex and I am not sure if it would benefit you at all. 

Thanks!
Intuit Alumni

You are welcome!
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings