Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

john_doe

I shifted my VISA status from F1-OPT to H1B on 1st October 2018. Can I use Turbotax to file my taxes?

Based on other answers I do not pass the substantial stay test.

Can I use Turbotax partner Sprintax for my tax purposes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I shifted my VISA status from F1-OPT to H1B on 1st October 2018. Can I use Turbotax to file my taxes?

When did you first enter the US with the F-1 visa?
john_doe

August 2015
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No, you can't use Turbotax to file, unfortunately. 

As an F-1 visa holder, you are a nonresident for five years ( 2015-2019).  Although you change your visa status to the H-1B, you did not have it for more than 183 days in 2018, therefore, you are still a nonresident.  As TurboTax does not support any nonresident tax forms, you are advised to contact our partner Sprintax to complete your filing. 

You do have an option to file as a dual-status alien on your 2018 taxes if you stay at least 150 days in 2019, however, it gets more complex and I am not sure if it would benefit you at all. 

john_doe

Thanks!
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You are welcome!

Hi LinaJ2018,

I wish I knew this before. My condition was similar to john_doe and I already filed my tax return using TurboTax in 2019 for the year 2018. What can be the consequence and how can I make things correct?

Thanks in advance

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies