Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I refinanced a primary home in 2017. I had origination fees and points rolled into the loan. Do I only submit my two 1098s or do I enter the loan points to save tax $ too

Two 1098s--Old and new refi loan. Is everything always on mortgage interest statements or do I need to pull out my loan papers and look for deductions ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I refinanced a primary home in 2017. I had origination fees and points rolled into the loan. Do I only submit my two 1098s or do I enter the loan points to save tax $ too

Points paid during refinancing your home must be allocated over the life of the mortgage.  TurboTax will calculate this for you once you enter that the loan was a refinance of a mortgage on your primary home. 

As you owned the home all year, you should not need your loan papers to determine the amount of real estate tax you paid.

Other closing costs on a refinance  (title search, bank fees etc) are not deductible.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Points paid during refinancing your home must be allocated over the life of the mortgage.  TurboTax will calculate this for you once you enter that the loan was a refinance of a mortgage on your primary home. 

As you owned the home all year, you should not need your loan papers to determine the amount of real estate tax you paid.

Other closing costs on a refinance  (title search, bank fees etc) are not deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies