Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-S for the sale of our timeshare. How do I enter this and and can I reduce the gross proceeds for the closing costs that we paid.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099-S for the sale of our timeshare. How do I enter this and and can I reduce the gross proceeds for the closing costs that we paid.

You would need TurboTax Premier to report this sale under Investment Income.

1. In TurboTax Premier Online, you would report this as Investment income, under Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  2. Say that you did sell investments in 2017, and you did not receive a 1099-B. 
  3. Under Choose the type of investment you sold, select Second Home.
  4. On the next screen, describe the property and enter the  proceeds and the date of sale. My advice is to enter the entire proceeds from your 1099S in this section, because that is what is being reported to the IRS. 
  5. Next , check how you acquired it.
  6. Indicate if you ever used the property for business or as a rental. . If it was used for personal purposes, you will not be able to deduct a loss on the sale.
  7. Enter the date you acquired the property, and the purchase price. Add the closing costs to your basis, if they haven't already been deducted from your proceeds in your 1099-S. The result is the same on your taxes. Your gain or loss will be correctly computed. Just be sure to note what is included in the cost basis figure.
  8. The gain or loss will be calculated and categorized as either long-term or short-term.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where do you put the net proceeds from your sale of timeshare . On my 1099s it only has my gross. I need to include my closing costs to show the loss from my purchase price . 

Anonymous
Not applicable

your loss may not be deductible - a timeshare can be like a personal residence.  however, there are exceptions to the above

It all depends on how you use your timeshare.

Personal Use Timeshares
A timeshare is a personal use timeshare if you use it almost exclusively as a vacation getaway for yourself and your family, relatives, and friends, or you left it vacant or exchanged its use with other timeshare owners. Personal use timeshares can be rented to strangers, but for no more than 14 days per year. The majority of timeshares fall into this category. Losses from the sale of a personal use timeshare are deemed to be personal losses and are not deductible at all. End of story.

Rental Only Timeshares
A timeshare will qualify as a rental only timeshare if (1) it is rented at fair market value to unrelated parties for 15 days or more during the year, and (2) the owners do not personally use the timeshare for more than 14 days per year or 10% of the total days rented, whichever is greater.

When determining the rental and personal use days for the 15, 14, and 10% cutoffs, you must include the combined use of all the owners of the timeshare unit. The result is that personal use by any owner of a timeshare is considered personal use by all of the owners—for example, if you use your timeshare zero days, but the other owners use it 300 days, you have 300 days of personal use. This makes it virtually impossible for you to satisfy the fewer-than-15-days or 10% personal use tests. For this reason, few timeshares that are rented are classified as rental only timeshares.

If a timeshare does qualify as rental only, losses incurred on its sale are deductible.

Mixed Use Timeshares
A timeshare is a mixed use timeshare if (1) it is rented at fair market value to unrelated parties for 15 days or more during the year, and (2) the owners personally use the timeshare for more than 14 days per year or 10% of the total days rented, whichever is greater. Because the personal uses of all the timeshare owners are combined for these calculations, most timeshares that are rented are classified as mixed use timeshares.

When you sell a mixed use timeshare you must treat the sale as a sale of two separate assets for tax purposes: a personal use timeshare and a rental timeshare. You allocate the sales price and tax basis between the two assets in proportion to your rental vs. personal use. You can deduct any losses you incur from sale of the rental use portion of the timeshare.

Example: Sam paid $10,000 for a one-week timeshare in Hawaii that he used personally one-third of the time and rented out the rest of the time. He sells the timeshare for $4,000. He allocates $2,000 of his $6,000 loss to his personal use and $4,000 to his rental use. The $4,000 is a deductible rental property loss. The $2,000 is a nondeductible personal loss.

By the way, the tax law prevents you from converting a personal use timeshare to a mixed use or rental only timeshare before you sell it so you can deduct your losses. When you make such a conversion, the property's basis (cost for tax purposes) becomes the lesser of (1) the property's adjusted basis or (2) the property's fair market value at the date of conversion. If, as is usually the case, your timeshare has declined in value, you'll have to use the fair market value at conversion as the adjusted basis. Thus, when you sell, you won't have any deductible losses.

Example: You buy a timeshare from a developer for $10,000. When you convert it to rental use its resale value is only $4,000. You must use $4,000 as your basis for determining any loss when you sell it. You sell the property for $4,000 and realize no loss or gain.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You report the gross proceeds. Your closing costs are reported as Selling expenses. Also, your cost basis is the amount that you paid for your timeshare.

Please note that you cannot deduct the loss on personal use property.

There is no where to put selling expenses? There is only an option to enter Proceeds and Total amount paid ? Where would I put selling expenses ?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You can subtract selling expenses from your gross proceeds and enter the net proceeds in the Proceeds box. Just keep the detail of this calculation and any proof of payment of your selling expenses in your tax records in case the IRS asks for it in the future.

Dotticain

I bought the TurboTax Deluxe not realizing that I could not file a 1099-S.  Will I need to buy the TurboTax Premier too or is there a way to add the 1099-S to my TurboTax Deluxe for a fee?

@Dotticain wrote:

I bought the TurboTax Deluxe not realizing that I could not file a 1099-S.  Will I need to buy the TurboTax Premier too or is there a way to add the 1099-S to my TurboTax Deluxe for a fee?

If you are using the TurboTax Deluxe desktop CD/Download edition you can report the sale of property.  The Form 1099-S is not reported on a tax return.  However, the amount of the proceeds shown on the 1099-S is reported.

What was sold so that you received a Form 1099-S.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you are using the TurboTax Desktop version as indicated by DoninGA, then you can report the sale.  Use the steps below using the information on your 1099-S.

If you sold your main home

1. Sign in to TurboTax and select Pick up where you left off.
  2. Select Search, enter sale of home, and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell or have your home foreclosed in 2023?
  4. Enter the address of the home you sold on the next screen, and Continue.
  5. On the next screen, answer Yes to Did you receive a Form 1099-S that reported this sale? and enter the info from your 1099-S.
  6. On the next screens, follow the on-screen instructions to continue entering the info from your 1099-S.

Profits of up to $250,000 ($500,000 on a joint return) on the sale of your home may not be taxable if it was your primary residence for two of the last five years. We’ll ask you some questions about the sale of your home to see if you qualify.

If you are using the TurboTax Online version it will automatically upgrade you to the Premier version to complete the sale.  See the image below for assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies