Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my father claim cap gains exclusions on 2 homes he sold last year?

Can my father claim cap gains exclusions on 2 homes he sold last year? He had a home in FL and in NY.  He spends 6 months at each. Due to health issues he had to sell both last year and move in with us.  His mailing address is the Florida Home, he spent the summers in the NY home.  He has owned one property for over 20 years and the other for 9 years

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, he cannot. The exclusion is only available for his main home, even if he lived in two.  Which one is his main home? It sounds like the FL home is... The most important factor is where he spent the most time. However, other factors can enter the picture as well, such as the address listed on your U.S. Postal Service address, Voter Registration Card, Federal and state tax returns, and Driver's license or car registration.

The second home does not qualify for the exclusion, unfortunately. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, he cannot. The exclusion is only available for his main home, even if he lived in two.  Which one is his main home? It sounds like the FL home is... The most important factor is where he spent the most time. However, other factors can enter the picture as well, such as the address listed on your U.S. Postal Service address, Voter Registration Card, Federal and state tax returns, and Driver's license or car registration.

The second home does not qualify for the exclusion, unfortunately. 

i read some tax info about partial exclusions for health reasons but cant really find more details ... is there any exclusions he may qulaify for ?
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

The exclusion that you are referring to applies to the Main home... if you don't owe or lived 2 out of 5 years in the MAIN home, you may qualify for a partial exclusion due to unforeseen circumstances... but again, it is for the main home and not the second home
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies