Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ton777
Returning Member

Equipment purchase deduction

I am sole proprietor of a LLC with no revenue in 2018. During the same year I purchased equipment necessary to make the business profitable in 2019.Can I deduct the equipment purchase in my 2018 return even if I had no revenue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If the business was 'open' in 2018, yes, the expenses are deducted or depreciated in 2018.

@TaxGuyBill   There are limitations on the amount of such deductions! q.v.,
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

I read it as the equipment was purchased after the business was 'open'.  If that is the case, there are not really limits.

If I misunderstood and the equipment was purchased BEFORE the business was actually 'open', it depends on if it is Depreciable equipment (over $200, or in some cases, over $2500) or not.

Depreciable equipment purchased before the business was open can usually be fully deducted once the business is 'open' (via the Special Depreciation Allowance).  Non-depreciable items purchased before the business opens are "Startup Expenses", and could be limited in certain circumstances.

The OP posted two related questions, and I read this one first, and fro it, and then fro what I could deduce from his continued reference to "no revenue" concluded that he wasstill in formation and not "open for business."  Thus truly still in start-up.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
ton777
Returning Member

Thank you for your replies, the business was open when the purchases was made.
Anonymous
Not applicable

something you should consider if you haven't already.   if you can and do fully deduct the cost in 2018, what will your tax situation look like in both 2018 and 2019.     could you have a net operating loss in 2018?.  In that case you would have to carry it back to 2016 unless you make an election to carry it forward to 2019 (there will be a box to check in TT to make this election)

ton777
Returning Member

Ok many thanks for your help, I will consider carry the loss forward.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies