Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tcolo123

I put $5k in a dependent care FSA for 2017 but my wife didn't make it back to work, does anyone have a legal suggestion to not totally lose the money?

My company gives a contribution to my dependent FSA for free (even if I do not make any contribution myself). 
What would then happen if I use those money even though my spouse does not work/does not find work?  

I put $5k in a dependent care FSA for 2017 but my wife didn't make it back to work, does anyone have a legal suggestion to not totally lose the money?

If you have FSA money and do not use the child care credit because one spouse did not work, then the FSA money which was pre-tax, just becomes taxable income.  You cannot get the child care credit unless both spouses worked and earned income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@tcolo123 @xmasbaby0 

just to close the loop on the question

1) the question was what happens to the money if @tcolo123 uses it and the spouse does not work? 

2) the answer responded to the question "what happens to the money if it is not used." 

I suspect the broader answer is that if it is not used as required by the rules (not used or not used when both spouses are working), it's taxable income.

esajad

Hi, What if I am on H1B visa and my wife is not authorized to work in the US. Can I use Dependent Care FSA or Healthcare FSA?

@esajad - see these IRS documents: Appears there would be no issue on the HSA, but Child Care would be problematic.  

Child Care: 

page 9 on the left: 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf

Generally, married couples must file a joint return to take the credit. However, if you are legally separated or living apart from your spouse, you may be able to file a separate return and still take the credit.

and page 4 on the right:

You Must Have Earned Income
To claim the credit, you (and your spouse if filing jointly) must have earned income during the year.

for the healthcare HSA: 

page 3 on the right: 

Qualifying for an HSA Contribution
To be an eligible individual and qualify for an HSA contribution, you must meet the following requirements.
• You are covered under a high deductible health plan
(HDHP), described later, on the first day of the month.
• You have no other health coverage except what is
permitted under Other health coverage, later.
• You aren’t enrolled in Medicare.
• You can’t be claimed as a dependent on someone
else’s 2021 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies