jim1940

I paid alimony is that deductible?

I paid my wife $1000.00 a month plus I paid all the home bills

I paid alimony is that deductible?

IF the divorce was finalized after 2018 then none of the alimony paid is deductible nor is it reported as income by the recipient.

Your payment of any household expenses are not deductible regardless if you are married or not.

I paid alimony is that deductible?

See IRS publication 504, and for homeowner expenses, see table for on page 14.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf

If your divorce was finalized after December 31, 2018, then alimony is not tax deductible by you or taxable income to the recipient.

However, if you paid mortgage interest and property taxes, those may be partly deductible.  As long as you are still a co-owner of the home, half the mortgage interest and property taxes that you paid are considered alimony to your ex-spouse, and the other half are considered property taxes and mortgage interest that you paid, and are schedule A itemized deductions on your tax return.  Whether you actually benefit depends on the total of all your itemized deductions compared to your standard deduction. The ability to treat half the mortgage payment and property taxes as an itemized deduction is not affected by the fact that the other half, which is considered alimony, is no longer deductible.