turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

razipper

I paid 8,000.00 for dental implants. Can I use this as a deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Yes. While dental implants aren't specifically mentioned in IRS Publication 502, the IRS says:

"You can include in medical expenses the amounts you pay for the prevention and alleviation of dental disease. Preventive treatment includes the services of a dental hygienist or dentist for such procedures as teeth cleaning, the application of sealants, and fluoride treatments to prevent tooth decay. Treatment to alleviate dental disease includes services of a dentist for procedures such as X-rays, fillings, braces, extractions, dentures, and other dental ailments."

If the implants improved dental function as well as appearance, the cost would be deductible. On the other hand, teeth whitening is considered cosmetic and not deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ERC

ClearChoice Dental requires full payment for all on 4 implants at time of first surgery, 

but total services may overlap tax years with Provisional teeth provided initially but permanent not until implant  Osseointegration.  Can I deduct all in one year or is some proration between two tax years necessary.

You can enter the amount you actually PAID for 2018 on your 2018 tax return.  If you paid some of it in 2019 then that amount can only be entered on your 2019 return.  It is not important when you actually got the dental work done or completed;  it is about when you PAID for it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ERC

Doing surgery and temp teeth and implants in September 2019.  Paid full fees in late August 2019.   Will get permanent teeth in February 2020.   So fully deductible (if exceed 10% agi)   in 2019?   Seems IRS pub says you cannot deduct prepayment for services GENERALLY if some services received in future tax year.   Trying to adjust withholding for current tax year.

Again--what you pay in 2019 goes on your 2019 return.

MEDICAL EXPENSES

The medical expense deduction has to meet a rather large threshold before it can affect your return. The amount of medical (including dental, vision, etc.)  expenses that will count toward itemization is the amount that is OVER 10% of your adjusted gross income. You should only enter the amount that you paid in 2019—do not include any amounts that were covered by insurance or that are still outstanding. Of course, your medical expenses plus your other itemized deductions still have to exceed your standard deduction before you will see a difference in your tax due or refund.

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

2019 Standard Deductions:

Single   $12,200  (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separately    $12,200  (+ $1300 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly  $24,400  (+ $1300 each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household  $18,350  (+ $1650 65 or older)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/health-care/medical-expenses-checklist/L6MkxxlyW

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895072-can-i-deduct-medical-costs-paid-through-my-hsa-or-msa

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895188-where-do-i-enter-my-medical-expenses

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895189-what-kinds-of-medical-expenses-are-deductible

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

lt may still help on your state return, though.

GEORGE234

Hello.  Did you get full upper and lower implants for $8,000.00?  If so, where?  That is a incredible price.

I need to do but I can not afford the $30,000 to $50,000 price tag.  This is very important.  Thanks for a reply.

email me [email address removed]

GEORGE234

Wow.  Where did you get full dental implants For $8,000.00? My email address is [email address removed].  Thank you so much if you reply>  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GEORGE234 got news for you just 1 implant can cost over $5,000. decades ago I had a client that need implants for his entire mouth. at that time the cost was over $50,000

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies