Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own a condo with a family member, but we have no official "partnership". Are we both considered partial owners, or do we both own 100% of the property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I own a condo with a family member, but we have no official "partnership". Are we both considered partial owners, or do we both own 100% of the property?

It is impossible for you to both own 100%. If this is a personal home, it is informal. If you were to sell, you would each claim 50% of the cost and sales price.

If it is a rental property, you would need to indicate at the set-up that you own 50% so each of you gets half the expenses and income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

It is impossible for you to both own 100%. If this is a personal home, it is informal. If you were to sell, you would each claim 50% of the cost and sales price.

If it is a rental property, you would need to indicate at the set-up that you own 50% so each of you gets half the expenses and income.

Thanks  @ColeenD3! When I input that we both own 50%, if I choose to input Total Amounts and have Turbotax half everything, it improperly halves my 1099-MISC (which was already halved by our property management company) and Turbotax won't let me override that amount. So, I need to select to input 50% of the totals, which is fine.  However, as we just inherited this condo, Turbotax asks depreciation questions - fair market value, land value, improvement value. Since I'm entering 50% amounts for everything, do I also halve these numbers? Thank you - I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, to get the correct results for the depreciation, you will enter only your half of the values.  

@taxnewbie19

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies