Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I overfunded HSA in 2020 for Tax Yr 2019. App asks if I overfund in 2020 (technically yes) If I answer no, it asks about 2019. (actually yes). How should I enter it?

I removed the excess contribution before Tax Date 2020. My 2019 Tax return does not show the excess contribution.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I overfunded HSA in 2020 for Tax Yr 2019. App asks if I overfund in 2020 (technically yes) If I answer no, it asks about 2019. (actually yes). How should I enter it?

What did you actually do?

1. You contributed money to the HSA in 2019, right?

2. Then in 2020, you contributed more money to the HSA for year 2019, which out your over the 2019 limit - is that right?

3. If so, this should have appeared on your 2019 return - did it not? Did you not enter this 2020 contribution for 2019 onto your 2019 return?

4. Since you apparently withdrew the excess contribution for 2019 before the due date in 2020, then in the 2020 HSA interview, when you are asked "Did you overfund your HSA in 2019?", you would answer "NO", because the question really wants to know if you carried over your excess contributions from 2019 to 2020 which you did not.

Do I understand your situation correctly? If not, come back and tell me what really happened... 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies