I need help entering a casualty loss

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a house in June and had a robbery in July. I have property damage/loss that needs to be entered and I need help filling in information about the loss such as cost basis. Is this the amount I paid for the house or just the total loss value
8 Replies
Alumni

Was part of the loss covered by insurance? If so, approximately how much was not covered and what was it?

Total loss was 14,290.49, insurance covered 13,180.63 and when I try to enter the information it keeps showing 0 for deductions

I purchase my house 6/8/2016 and had a robbery on 7/29/2016 with property damage. The repairs were mostly covered by my insurance company however not completely. $1,109.86 was the amount not covered by insurance

The amount not covered was $1,000 deductible and $109.86 depreciation value of content loss that was not replaced

Does this loss qualify for any tax deductions? The computer calculator keeps showing $0 deductions.
Alumni

No. See the answer. It does not qualify for any deduction at all. None.

Thank you, I appreciate the explanation
Alumni

If your uncovered loss was $1,109.86, then don't even bother trying to claim it as a casualty loss. Why. Simply this, for any casualty loss, once you have determined the gross loss, and let's say that is was $1,109.86, to determine what you can deduct, you must first reduce that amount by  $100, leaving $1,009.86, and then you have to further reduce that loss by 10% of your adjusted gross income. So, if your adjusted gross income was more than 10,098.60, then you have 0 loss left to deduct.
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings