turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

donofrc

I moved out of my parents house this year

So in 2016 I was living in the Netherlands, but being supported by my parents. In August, I came back to the states, got two jobs, and moved into my own apartment. I've been supporting myself since August. My parents are claiming me as a dependent, so do I say that I am supporting myself with earned income or not. I have been, but only since August.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
NewGuy

Whether your parents are able to claim you depends on various factors such as:

Your age

Whether you were a full time student for at least part of any 5 months during the year.

Whether you made more than $4050 gross income during the year.

Why you were living in the Netherlands (i.e., were you going to school there?)

Assuming you were not attending school while you were in the Netherlands, you would no longer be considered a qualifying child since you did not live with your parents for at least half of the year.

If you made more than $4050 in gross income, you would not be considered a qualifying relative. 

If you were not a qualifying child or relative, then your parents are not allowed to claim you as a dependent and you would indicate that you cannot be claimed by anyone else when you file your taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000220898

donofrc

I was in the Netherlands from an unpaid internship. I was no longer a student, but I also had no income so I was supported by my parents.  And even though I was living in the Netherlands, I kept my legal address as my parents house.
NewGuy

How old were you at the end of the year?  Did you make more than $4050 for the year?
donofrc

At the end of the year I was 23, and yes I did
NewGuy

Since you were no longer a full time student and over 19 at the end of the year, you were no longer a qualifying child.  Since you made more than $4050, you don't meet the criteria to be claimed as a qualifying relative.  Since you fail tests associated with both categories of dependents, you are NOT a dependent of your parents according to the IRS.  You should indicate that no one else is allowed to claim you as a dependent.  You can review the criteria for claiming a qualifying child or relative in IRS Pub 501 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000220886">https://www.irs.gov/pu...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies