Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I make and donate lapghans to a local nursing home....can I deduct the cost of the yarn?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I make and donate lapghans to a local nursing home....can I deduct the cost of the yarn?

Yes, you may.

This, from IRS Publication 526:

"Generally, you can deduct contributions of money or property you make to, or for the use of, a qualified organization. A contribution is “for the use of” a qualified organization when it is held in a legally enforceable trust for the qualified organization or in a similar legal arrangement."

The afghans are for the use of a qualified organization.  Make sure that you get the home's tax identification number for your records.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you may.

This, from IRS Publication 526:

"Generally, you can deduct contributions of money or property you make to, or for the use of, a qualified organization. A contribution is “for the use of” a qualified organization when it is held in a legally enforceable trust for the qualified organization or in a similar legal arrangement."

The afghans are for the use of a qualified organization.  Make sure that you get the home's tax identification number for your records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies