Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

laci262

I'm in sales. I use my own vehicle to travel to see customers, etc. My employer furnishes a gas card and does not add this to my w2 income. can I still deduct other expenses, tires, repairs etc?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I'm in sales. I use my own vehicle to travel to see customers, etc. My employer furnishes a gas card and does not add this to my w2 income. can I still deduct other expenses, tires, repairs etc?

You would claim all of your expenses, less any portion reimbursed or paid for by your employer.

You can claim deductible business auto expenses in one of two ways.

IRS Mileage Rate:  You can claim business miles times the IRS mileage rate.  IRS mileage rates for business activities are $.555/mile.
    Actual Cost:You can claim your actual costs including depreciation times the percentage that you use your car for business.  Actual costs would include gas, oil, insurance, repairs, etc. Payments on a note would not be deductible.  The cost of the vehicle would be deducted through depreciation instead (or lease deducting lease payments if you lease it.)

If you are an employee, they are a miscellaneous itemized deduction.  Miscellaneous itemized deductions are only available if you qualify to itemize and only to the extent that they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  Example:  If your Adjusted Gross Income is $50,000, only miscellaneous itemized deductions over $1,000 are deductible.  Because of this, many items deductible as miscellaneous itemized deductions have no tax value because the taxpayer doesn't itemize, or because they are lost in the 2% of adjusted gross income limitation.

If you are self-employed, these expenses would be business expenses on Schedule C.

(No matter which method you use, your auto expenses must be reduced by any reimbursement not otherwise reported as income.)
BARBARA86

I M IN SALES AND DO NOT GET REIMBURSED FOR MILES, SOME FOOD, EQUIPMENT AND HOME OFFICE   I FILLED OUT INFO FOR FOR FORM 2106 BUT I DIDNT GET THE EXPENSE.  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You are probably not doing anything wrong.  

If you are an employee receiving a W-2, then employee business expenses would be claimed on Form 2106.  However, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that was passed in late 2017 suspended the employee business expense deduction for the tax years 2018 through 2025 except for certain specific types of employees (such as armed forces reservists for example).  

You are still able to enter the information into your return (even though it does not affect your Federal return) because certain states do still allow a deduction for employee business expenses.

(The question that was answered above was brought over to this forum from the previous format -- it was probably asked prior to 2019 when the deduction was still in place.  The 2019 date pertains to when the information was imported into this format.)

@BARBARA86

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies