turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm getting an unacceptable value error in the charitable contributions line, which is correct. 10b says 300 for the standard deduction. cannot efile.

it will not let me move forward and i've tried all the workarounds that i've seen posted here and nothing works. if i remove the 300, then my refund goes down. this is clearly a glitch, which has been going on since january. why hasn't it been fixed yet?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I'm getting an unacceptable value error in the charitable contributions line, which is correct. 10b says 300 for the standard deduction. cannot efile.

To edit the number on line 10, please follow these steps:

TurboTax ONLINE

Click Tax Tools on the left side bar

Click Tools from the drop-down

Click the "Topic Search" box on the screen

Type or scroll down to    standard deduction and exemptions

Click GO 

The next screen gives you an option to change your selection from Standard to Itemized and back. You do not need to change your selection

Scroll down to the bottom of that screen and click CONTINUE

The next screen is the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act screen

IF YOU ARE CLAIMING STANDARD DEDUCTION enter the amount of cash contributions you made, up to  300

IF YOU ARE ITEMIZING DEDUCTIONS enter 0

Scroll down and click Continue

Click Continue on the next screen

DESKTOP

Go to Step-By-Step input (top right corner of screen)

Click Federal

Click Deductions & Credits along the top

Click “I’ll choose what I work on”

Edit or Update Donations to Charity in 2020 if needed, then click “Done with Charitable Donations”

Scroll down the “Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen and click “Done with Deductions”

Click Continue on the “Let’s Check Your Deductions and Credits” screen

Continue through the following interview questions until you get to the “Here Are Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen

Click Continue

If the next screen says “The Standard deduction is Right for You!” click Continue

ON THE NEXT SCREEN enter the cash contribution made in 2020 up to 300 and click Continue

Your 1040 should update

“The new "up to $300 above the line cash charity donation" is available for tax year 2020. This allows a Taxpayer to claim up to a $300 credit which is subtracted from income on the 1040 line 10c if the Taxpayer is claiming the Standard Deduction. (If you Itemize Deductions, all your donations will be listed on Schedule A.) “

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NoTY

I've read through so many forums on this topic and you keep saying to do the same thing.  I accept the Standard Deduction.  The VERY NEXT SCREEN has nothing to do with Charitable Contributions.  I only find out there is a problem because it will not allow me to move past the review page.  I have yet to find a post that actually provides a real solution. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. Let me show you the screenshot you should be receiving in your return.  If you still are having issues, I suggest you call 1-800-446-8848 to see why you are having issues with this. First of all before we get started, if you have charitable contributions listed in the deductions and credit section, clear those out and delete them. Next go to deductions and credits and scroll through the screens until you reach the following screen.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies