Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm doing my 2016 taxes using Turbo Tax. I've gotten to the point where Turbo Tax is asking me for the property taxes we paid in 2016, when

I'm doing our 2016 income taxes using Turbo Tax. I've gotten in the part under Deductions & Credits where I'm entering information on our mortgage. The problem I'm having is trying to understand the confusing instructions Turbo Tax is giving me. There's a textbox with a label that says, "Property Taxes Paid". Then below that is a link that says, "Where do I enter my property taxes?" I clicked on the link and it says, "If you paid real estate (or property) taxes through an escrow account, you need to report this amount in Property Taxes, not here."

I have no idea where that is. We did use an escrow account to pay our property taxes, so where in Turbo Tax 2016 do I enter that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I'm doing my 2016 taxes using Turbo Tax. I've gotten to the point where Turbo Tax is asking me for the property taxes we paid in 2016, when

The caution is that you do not enter the amount paid into the escrow, but rather the actual property taxes paid from the escrow by the lender to the tax collector.

You can go directly to enter your real estate property taxes by using the steps below.

1. Sign into your TurboTax account (desktop or online)
    2. In the search box, upper right
    3. Search for property (real-estate) tax
    4. Jump to property (real-estate) tax
    5. Follow the prompts to enter your taxes (see the images attached)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
            DianeW
            Expert Alumni

The caution is that you do not enter the amount paid into the escrow, but rather the actual property taxes paid from the escrow by the lender to the tax collector.

You can go directly to enter your real estate property taxes by using the steps below.

1. Sign into your TurboTax account (desktop or online)
              2. In the search box, upper right
              3. Search for property (real-estate) tax
              4. Jump to property (real-estate) tax
              5. Follow the prompts to enter your taxes (see the images attached)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
                      Manage cookies