stevesch10

I'm a Virginia resident and our state taxes are still due on 1 May. Can I file state taxes in May and federal taxes in July (yes I owe)?

BillM223

Remember that the act of paying tax due is separate from filing the paperwork (your return).

I am not sure what you mean here, but note that you shouldn't file your state return until your file your federal return, because the state normally wants a copy of it (and I am not sure that TurboTax will even let you try).

But, having said that, if you file both returns by May 1st, you still don't have to pay your federal return using the 1040-V voucher or an online payment method until July 15th.

See IRS Payments for various online payment options.

BillM223