Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a career firefighter, I want to know if I can deduct my gym membership to as part of my physical fitness requirements?

I switched how I was paying for the membership by going through my Blue Cross plan halfway through the year. That portion comes out of my HSA. I only want to claim the first half.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I'm a career firefighter, I want to know if I can deduct my gym membership to as part of my physical fitness requirements?

Gym membership and fees for general health are not deductible. For gym memberships, see, for example, IRS Rev. Rul. 78-128. ( http://www.charitableplanning.com/document/669247 .)  The Revenue Ruling discusses the case of a law enforcement officer who was required, as a condition of employment to be in excellent physical condition. It held he/she could not deduct membership fee in health club because it was a personal, nondeductible, expense for his general health. Your situation of appearing physically fit would not be any different than the police officers requirement to be physically fit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies