turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I installed foam-backed insulated vinyl siding on my house in 2015. Does this qualify for the energy saving improvements?

Tyvek wrap was also attached to the house prior to the vinyl being installed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I installed foam-backed insulated vinyl siding on my house in 2015. Does this qualify for the energy saving improvements?

There seem to be two points to your question.

1.  For 2019, the consolidated budget bill passed in December 2019 retroactively extended the energy savings credits for 2018 and 2019.  That includes the "non-business energy property credits" which includes things like windows, doors, and insulation.  More about that in a moment.

2. The credits are available if you as a homeowner, make upgrades to your existing home.  They do not apply if you are building a new home.  (There may be different energy efficiency credits that apply to home builders but I don't know what they are.)

Regarding energy saving improvements, insulation qualifies if it is:

"any insulation material or system (including any vapor retarder or seal to limit infiltration) that is specifically and primarily designed to reduce the heat loss or gain of your home when installed in or on such home and

meets the prescriptive criteria established by the IECC."

So the problem with insulation-backed home siding would be, is it part of a system exclusively designed to prevent heat loss/gain?  Does it meet the IECC criteria?  (You might ask the manufacturer.)  Then, the credit is limited to 10% of the cost of materials only, not including installation.  You would need an invoice from your contractor showing materials and labor separately.  And finally, there is a lifetime limit on the credit (per taxpayer, not per house) of $500, going back to the first year the credit was offered in 2006.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Update: This deduction expired at the end of 2016 and has not been renewed as yet.  It is not available on 2017 tax returns.

Insulation qualifies for a credit of 10% of the cost of the materials (not including installation and labor) with a lifetime maximum of $500.  The home energy efficiency credits are listed in the Your Home section of the deductions and credits page.  If you don't see it you may need to click something like "show me more choices".

Since this question got a vote in January 2018, I feel I should update the response. These energy efficiency credits expired at the end of 2016, and are not available on 2017 tax returns.

Has anything changed in regards to the answer of the last question.  We had foam backed siding installed along with Tyvek as well.  Does that make the 2019 list as a qualifier?  How should the question "Were any of these improvements related to the construction of your main home?" be answered?  It is not a new construction house but is part of the construction of our main house. 

Thanks

There seem to be two points to your question.

1.  For 2019, the consolidated budget bill passed in December 2019 retroactively extended the energy savings credits for 2018 and 2019.  That includes the "non-business energy property credits" which includes things like windows, doors, and insulation.  More about that in a moment.

2. The credits are available if you as a homeowner, make upgrades to your existing home.  They do not apply if you are building a new home.  (There may be different energy efficiency credits that apply to home builders but I don't know what they are.)

Regarding energy saving improvements, insulation qualifies if it is:

"any insulation material or system (including any vapor retarder or seal to limit infiltration) that is specifically and primarily designed to reduce the heat loss or gain of your home when installed in or on such home and

meets the prescriptive criteria established by the IECC."

So the problem with insulation-backed home siding would be, is it part of a system exclusively designed to prevent heat loss/gain?  Does it meet the IECC criteria?  (You might ask the manufacturer.)  Then, the credit is limited to 10% of the cost of materials only, not including installation.  You would need an invoice from your contractor showing materials and labor separately.  And finally, there is a lifetime limit on the credit (per taxpayer, not per house) of $500, going back to the first year the credit was offered in 2006.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies