I hold a J-1 visa and receive 1042-S, can I use Tu...

guotao91

I hold a J-1 visa and receive 1042-S, can I use Turbotax to file the tax return?

AmeliesUncle

If you have been in the US for only 1 or 2 calendar years, no, TurboTax can not prepare your tax return.

If you have been in the US for more than 2 years, maybe.  But the program will not prompt you about the 1042-S, so you would need to know how to manually enter the information.  

You probably want to go to a good tax professional that is experienced with Nonresident Aliens (most tax professionals are NOT experienced with that, so you will need to look around).

guotao91

Thanks! I have been in the US since 2018, so I became a RA in 2020. But I still receive 1042-S and the tax treaty still applies this year. 

Do you have any suggestions about how to proceed and enter the information manually? Also, is it necessary to file tax return by mail if I have 1042-S, I just wonder if the online efile is still valid.  Thank you.

AmeliesUncle

You need to know what type of income the 1042-S is showing, and how it goes on the tax forms.  And TurboTax does NOT do anything in regards to Tax Treaties, so you would need to know exactly how the Treaty applies, and how it is reflected on the tax return.

Again, you really need to be working with a good tax professional that is experienced with Nonresident Aliens.

LinaJ2020

What is the income code on your 1042-S?

@guotao91