Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have two W-2s, HSA contributions are $3,550 and $47. How to fix excess HSA contribution? Does W-2 need to be modified? Could you please explain in details.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I have two W-2s, HSA contributions are $3,550 and $47. How to fix excess HSA contribution? Does W-2 need to be modified? Could you please explain in details.

"Shall I contact my Company to correct W-2 to show a corrected HSA contribution in W-2c or it is not required?"

No, do not ask your employer for a corrected W-2, because, after all, what they did was correct so far as they know.

Instead, just follow the process I've outlined above.

Note that your HSA custodian (Fidelity, I believe) likely has the form for reporting an Excess Contribution online on their website (it's worth looking for anyway).

The $47 will still appear on line 8 of Schedule 1 (1040). The HSA custodian will send you a check for $47 dollars. And their paperwork will be correct. Case closed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

f you overfunded or weren't eligible to contribute to your HSA in 2020, you'll need to withdraw the overage by April 15, 2021 to avoid a penalty (October 15 if you filed an extension).

You have options:  See information below:

Leave it in and pay the 6% penalty then make the excess a 2020 contribution.

OR

Contact the HSA administrator to have the excess removed make sure they understand it is a return of excess contributions not a distribution. 

Please see this explanation in full details that was prepared by  @HelenC

Two Ways to remove Excess HSA

For 2020, your maximum combined contribution to an HSA – that is, the sum of what you, your employer, and anyone else contributed – is $3,550 if you're covered by an individual (self-only) HDHP and $7,100 if you're covered by a family HDHP (maximum contributions increase to $4,550 and $8,100, respectively, if you were at least 55 years of age on December 31, 2020).

For more information on HSA see link below:

What is a HSA

Thanks @Cynthiad66, If I chose option 1 (the first removes the HSA contributions in the tax year and avoids a penalty). Based on @BillM223's post, if I understand correctly, I need to follow below steps. 

1. When TurboTax detects that I have excess HSA contributions which were made through my employer (code W in box 12 on your W-2), then it is immediately added back to my federal income as Other Income on line 8 of Schedule 1 (1040).
  2. Then TurboTax asks me if I will withdraw the entire excess before the due date of the return (July 15th this year but usually April 15th). I need to answer "Yes" and contact HSA company (Fidelity) requesting a "withdrawal of excess contributions". I will receive a 1099-SA with the earnings that my excess made while in the HSA in box 2 of the 1099-SA - enter this into my return.
  • Shall I contact my Company to correct W-2 to show a corrected HSA contribution in W-2c or it is not required?

Thank you for your support.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"Shall I contact my Company to correct W-2 to show a corrected HSA contribution in W-2c or it is not required?"

No, do not ask your employer for a corrected W-2, because, after all, what they did was correct so far as they know.

Instead, just follow the process I've outlined above.

Note that your HSA custodian (Fidelity, I believe) likely has the form for reporting an Excess Contribution online on their website (it's worth looking for anyway).

The $47 will still appear on line 8 of Schedule 1 (1040). The HSA custodian will send you a check for $47 dollars. And their paperwork will be correct. Case closed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies